I never knew I had such resilience about weather until we found ourselves eye-devouring the East Side Gallery at the Berlin Wall. The icy cold weather and snowfall couldn’t keep me away from the murals I had so desperately wanted to see for myself.
I, my friends, am an art lover… apparently. 🙂
So a few things you must know when wanting to visit the East Side Gallery.
- There are multiple “Wall” experiences. In our “Berlin, I Love You” post from our time there in October we visited one of the more sobering spots where they chronicled who died on that particular piece of land. If you’re looking for art, you head to the East Side Gallery.
- There are two stops that you can take that will get you to different parts of the wall. Warschauer Strasse that has both the U1 and the S5/7 and the Ostbahnhof stop which you can hop on the S3/5/7 trains.
- The walk is 1.3 kilometers.
- There are over 100+ murals.
- There is currently a big disagreement in Berlin over pieces of the East Side Gallery being moved in place of luxury apartments. David Hasselhoff even showed up to a protest to show his support/give a PR boost to his career.
The walk to the gallery in the snow really paid off. With few to no people around, we were able to grab pictures of the artwork with no problem. Here are a few of my favorites – make sure to head to The Wall to see them in all their glory.