Do you celebrate Movember? If so, why?
This year has probably been one of the hardest ones in our lives. Between settling back into a normal routine/reintegration and family health problems, we’ve had to step back a bit and rethink our priorities a bit.
One of the ways we handle emotional responses is to act. What better way to show love than to fight against the cause of the issue? Welcome to our reason for this year’s Movember – we’re honoring Shaun’s dad. We’re raising money to kick cancer’s ass. We’re doing what we can in a situation we have no control over and helping promote men’s health awareness.
I honestly haven’t seen Shaun’s chin since he could grow facial hair. I remember it being a pointy little thing. I honestly have grown quite attached to his new beard phase so going clean shaven is definitely going to be something new.
The night went something like this.
1. Shaun looked in the mirror, stroking his beard, asking, “Am I really about to do this?”
2. With a quick beer and a toast, he got down to business.
3. Due to his thick beard he had to attack it with a hair shaver first.
4. Shaun took advantage of the moment to experiment with some different styles of facial hair. Trucker? Civil War? Moustachioed man?
5. I think he liked the dad-stache a bit much.
6. In a flash it was all gone.
7. The smell of Barbasol enters the room and dad-nostalgia hits us.
8. He picks his arsenal.
9. …and settles on a cute pink razor.
10. It is all over before he knows it.
11. WHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY?!
12. Shaun stares in disbelief. 15 years disappear down the drain.
What isn’t shown was when he goes in for the kiss – one of the weirdest, semi-awkward moments of our relationship. I giggle. Well there is no going back now, eh?
Shaun spends the next 48 hours realizing how much he touches his face and gives me a pissy look in the morning as he explains his night was the equivalent of lying on a velcro pillow.
Most of all, the best moment so far was the anonymous donations we got over the first night. $210… I turn to Shaun. Well, that made it worth it, right?
So now that we’re starting with a clean slate, what kind of mo’ do you think Shaun should grow?
If you’re looking to join a Movember team, please let us know. We would love to have more people representing team Over Yonderlust.
If you’re looking to donate, make sure to head over to Shaun’s Mo-Space at http://mobro.co/overyonderlust